NRF Community of Practice:
Algoa Bay Marine Spatial Plan
Towards South Africa's first Marine Spatial Plan
The project consists of two phases. Phase 1 collected data on and modelled the biophysical and governance systems in Algoa Bay.
Phase 2 aims to address the socio-economic system, and tie all three systems together in an overall model that can inform marine spatial planning decisions in the Bay.
MEET THE TEAM
Gwynneth Matcher (SAIAB; RU)
Christopher McQuid (RU)
Kennith Liu (UFH)
Jacques Mahler-Coetzee (UFH)
Thomas Bornman (SAEON; NMU)
Shaun Deyzel (SAEON; NMU)
Shirley Parker-Nance (SAEON; RU)
Francesca Porri (SAIAB; NMU)
Angus Paterson (SAIAB)
Hayley Cawthra (Council for Geoscience; NMU)
UPDATES AND OUTPUTS
Phase 1 Outputs 2017-2019
· 15 + Journal Articles
· 1 Policy Brief
· 13 International Conferences
· 8 National Conferences
· 2 Technical Reports
· 7 Science Communications
· 6 membership meetings & workshops
· 9 Algoa Bay Project workshops, including stakeholder meetings
· 9 Female and 9 Male Team leaders
· 10 Postdoctoral and Emerging Researchers
· 16 PhD Candidates
· 15 MSc students
Relevance to MSP Framework
· Understanding stakeholder landscape
· Conservation Plan for Algoa Bay
· Working within the legal framework
· Testing context driven co-development process
New discoveries and advances
· 2 distinct epibenthic communities not currently defined.
· Several new species of benthic macrofauna in rocky reef habitats 35-55m deep (Fig 2); incl. the sponges Tsitsikamma michaeli (Fig 3) and Tsitsikamma nguni (Parker-Nance et al. 2019).
· Several new bioactive compounds discovered from sponges collected in the Bay (Kalinski et al. 2019).
· Phyto– and zooplankton sampling for Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) monitoring & biodiversity database updates.
· Important nutrient input sites identified (e.g. Swartkops & Sundays Rivers, sewage outfall sites, coastal islands, Alexandria dunefield and upwelled water).
· 5 manuscripts addressing the legal landscape of the Marine Spatial Planning Act (Act 16 of 2018).
· Systematic Conservation Plan for Algoa Bay.
Phase 2 Outputs and updates 2020-2023
Approved from July 2020 - Dec 2022
· Develop a fine-scale socio-economic plan and associated spatial data for Algoa Bay
· Draft a regional Marine Spatial Plan for Algoa Bay which includes:
· Continued bio-physical research
· Assess impacts of climatic and anthropogenic challenges to a growing blue economy (HABs, sea level rise, plastic pollution etc.).